Sunny days and warm weather may have started unseasonably early this year, but nothing heralds the beginning of summer as deliciously as the opening of the neighborhood pool. A sign the school year is coming to a close, kids celebrate the first day their pool is open with a fresh bottle of sunscreen and enough quarters for an ice cream treat.
The pools in Kentlands, Lakelands, Quince Orchard Park and Washingtonian Woods are all scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend, with summer concerts and other events following close behind.
The Kentlands pool is set to open from 9:30 a.m. – 9 p.m., with a DJ planned to spin family-friendly tunes. The community’s public yard sale will take place the same day from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. on the clubhouse lawn.
On May 28, Kentlands residents can take part in a special “Memorial Day Bash” on the clubhouse lawn and parking lot, featuring a DJ and traditional cookout foods such as hot dogs and hamburgers.
Plans are in the works for the annual Kentlands concert series on the clubhouse lawn. Residents are encouraged to bring a picnic and spread out a blanket on the clubhouse lawn while they listen to local musical acts. Dates and times are to be announced.
Lakelands residents can also look forward to a pool opening party from 12 – 4 p.m. on May 26. Along with a DJ, the event will feature bumper paddle boats, prizes and giveaways, and an assortment of snacks available for purchase.
The Quince Orchard Park pool will open the same day with a residents-only BBQ on the adjacent lawn. The community can also enjoy the annual “Swim-A-Thon” on July 1, which will include relays, contests and prizes for members of the swim team, as well as snacks for onlookers and those wishing to get an idea of what the swim team is all about.
The pool at Washingtonian Woods, home of The Waves swim team, will also open its pool facilities on May 26.
Those looking for more of a thrill to their watery experience this Memorial Day weekend can head over to Bohrer Park to experience the newly renovated water park from 12 a.m. – 6 p.m. Admission is $5.75 for Gaithersburg residents.
Looking for music? This area features a variety of live concerts that are open to all. On June 1, music lovers can relax with a cold drink from the Star Diner’s summer Tiki Bar as they take in the music of Solomon’s Gold in the center of Kentlands Downtown. The restaurant will host a different act every Friday and Saturday night through September.
Another great place for music in Kentlands this summer is at the annual Main Street Music Festival, located at the Main Street Pavilion. Venders open at 6 p.m. with a local artist performing at 6:30 p.m. Headliners play from 7 – 9 p.m. The Nighthawks will open the season on June 14.
The city of Gaithersburg offers many options for summer entertainment, including “Jazz in June” at the Arts Barn and Kentlands Mansion on June 1 at 8 p.m. Admission is $23 for residents and just $25 for non-residents. Snacks and beverages will be available during the intermission. For more information, call 301.258.6394 or visit www.gaithersburgmd.gov/artsbarn.
The city also hosts a wide variety of outdoor entertainment all summer long, including concerts, shows for children, “Family Fun” nights, and outdoor movie screenings. Special events include Eric Energy’s June 7 display of science experiments that are both cool and fun reasons to learn about science outside of the classroom. And if something a little less educational would better suit your idea of fun, moonlit screenings of “Puss In Boots,” “Kung Fu Panda 2,” and “Spy Kids 4” should satisfy even the youngest members of your family.
Also be sure to check out numerous events at nearby Washingtonian Center and Rockville Town Square, going on all summer long.
The season has much to offer — right on your doorstep.
June Summer Entertainment
City of Gaithersburg Outdoor Events
- June 1, 7 – 8:45 p.m.: Beach Bumz Concert — Tribute to Jimmy Buffet, City Hall Concert Pavilion
- June 7, 10:30 a.m. – noon: Eric Energy Science Show, City Hall Concert Pavilion
- June 14, 10:30 a.m. – noon: John Henry England, City Hall Concert Pavilion
- June 15, 5 – 9 p.m.: Family Fun Night — School’s Out Hoopla!, City Hall Concert Pavilion
- June 21, 10:30 a.m. – noon: Mr. Knack Knack, City Hall Concert Pavilion
- June 21, dusk: “Kung Fu Panda 2,” Robertson Park
- June 28, 10:30 a.m. – noon: Ed McDade, City Hall Concert Pavilion
For more information, visit www.gaithersburgmd.gov/ and click Events Calendar.
The Main Street Music Festival
- June 14: The Nighthawks — Blues
- June 21: Janine Gilbert Carter — Jazz
- June 28: The U.S. Army Field Band Brass Quintet — Patriotic Pre-July 4th Show
For more performance dates and musical artists, visit www.themainstreetmusicfestival.com.
Star Diner Concert Series
- June 1: Solomon’s Gold
- June 2: Platform Soul
- June 8: Patty Reese
- June 9: To be Determined
- June 15: Dosage
- June 16: Stevie D and The Unknowns
- June 22: Late As Usual
- June 23: Almost Blue
- June 29: Platform Soul
- June 30: Sandra Dean Band
For the full summer schedule,, visit www.MyStarDiner.com/events.
Washingtonian Center Events
- Live Music on the Plaza: Friday nights in front of Uncle Julio’s
- Rio Summer Concerts: Live music from 6 – 9 p.m. every Friday and Saturday night on the Rio Patio near the paddleboats.
- Little Tots: Fun and lively family entertainment every Wednesday. All morning Little Tots will be held inside Rio Center’s lower level atrium, near the movie theatre. All evening Little Tots will be held on the Lakefront Plaza Stage.
- Bach 2 Rock Student Showcase: June 15, 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. outside of Uncle Julio’s.
For more information and a complete schedule, visit www.washingtoniancenter.com and click on “Events.”
Rockville Town Square Events
- Friday Night Live Concert Series: 6:30 – 9 p.m
- Kids’ Night: Two live stage shows every Tuesday night, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., beginning June 12. Kids eat free at participating restaurants.
- Movies on the Square: Wednesday Nights, starting June 13. Bring your own blanket or lawn chairs. No coolers or outside food permitted.
For more information visit www.rockvilletownsquare.com and click on “events.”